Woman Suffrage and World War I
Students will learn how World War I impacted the woman suffrage movement. Sources will show how suffragists promoted woman suffrage as a war measure, how women’s roles expanded during the war and how suffragists used the stated purpose for fighting the war— fighting for democracy— to fight for this same right at home. The sources will also show how the tactics suffragists used varied and influenced public opinion both positively and negatively.
- Use evidence from informational texts to support analysis and answer questions
- Identify a variety of sources and their purpose
- Integrate visual materials with text sources
- Draw on several sources and consider questions that allow for multiple avenues of exploration
- Describe how World War I provided an opportunity for the woman suffrage movement
- Describe the different arguments suffragists used to promote woman suffrage through World War I