Do your students want to try their hand at running their own county government? In Counties Work, they can! They will need to stay on top of resident requests as they develop the local community, make important budgeting decisions, and solve crises that pop up along the way.
In Counties Work students will:
- Create their own county, parish, or borough government
- Review and address resident needs and requests by escorting them to the correct county department
- Address community crises through strategic action
- Manage the annual budget through property and sales tax adjustments and spending choices
- Grow the community through expansion opportunities
For English Language Learners: Use the support tool, Spanish translation, voiceover and glossary.
This game was made with support from the National Association of Counties. The Spanish translation and support for English Language Learners was made with support from the Jane Nelson Institute for Women's Leadership at Texas Woman's University.
- Simulate the role of county government, including organization, responsibilities, and services
- Identify appropriate resources and departments of county government to solve problems
- Consider how a budget and major sources of local revenue affect both services and citizens